Sunday, November 4, 2012

146,999,999

As I hopped in the shower before church this morning, I was met by a stream of lukewarm water.  I jumped in reaction and turned the knob hotter which didn't accomplish anything.  Annoyed, I began shampooing while the temperature continued to drop.  I think I may have set a record for the world's fastest shower and as I wrapped up in my towel, shivering and muttering about how irritated I was, I was suddenly hit with a wave of guilt.

Here I was, whining about my water not being hot enough, while my new little niece over in Congo is lucky to get clean drinking water, much less a warm bath.  I thought about the most recent photo my sister Keri sent me of this little sweetie and the way her face was lit up with a smile.  While I'm cringing over the injustice of my cold shower, she is smiling despite the awful circumstances she is enduring. 

My sister Keri's decision to adopt has opened my eyes and caused me to look beyond my sheltered life into the harsh realities suffered by little children across the world.  There are approximately 147 MILLION orphans in the world and she and her family are helping to make that number 146,999,999!

If you'd like to learn more about my sister's adoption story click here.  They can always use your prayers, and if you feel led to help them financially a great way is to purchase a T-Shirt!  $10 of every purchase goes directly to help bring their little girl home, and the other $10 goes directly to bring food and water to orphans!
The front reads "147 Million Orphans" and the back reads "Feed 1".
Available in adult sizes XS-XXXL. 
$20 each

 
Adoption is an amazing opportunity to forever change the life of a little one and I am so excited to get to be a part of my sister's process!  It is also a huge committment, both in faith and finances.  It may not be in the cards for you, but don't let that keep you from making a difference.  Sponsor a child, fill a shoebox for Operation Christmas Child, go to fundraisers for adopting families, consider foster care, become a mentor.... the list goes on and on!  You can make a difference, you just have to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment